Dipl. Ing. Matthias Michel
Matthias Michel studied at the Technical Universities of Vienna and Darmstadt with focus on CAD-techniques and building technology. From 1998 to 2004 he worked for Bollinger und Grohmann and became head of the research and development department. He was involved in the development of their digital workflow concept and in the structural design and realization of free form structures.
Since 2004 he works an independent engineer, focused on the planning of temporary buildings and engineering of steel, glass and plastics. 2008 he founded the planning company “imagine structure” with Holger Techen. He was scientific assistant at the Technical University of Karlsruhe from 2004 to 2010 at the Institut für Tragkonstruktionen of. Prof. Matthias Pfeifer.
After beeing professor for building technology at the School of Architecture and Interior Design at Detmold 2010 - 2012 he presently is involved as a researcher at a program of the German Research Foundation called SPP 1542 Light Weight Concrete Structures, focusing on adaptable formworks. He teaches at the Detmold based post graduate master program Computational Design and Construction.
He is a Rhino-user from the first hour and specialized in numerical analysis of structures with complex geometry and material behavior.
- Acrylic facade for the SANAA designed Vitra ware house VSL factory at Weil am Rhein 2012
- BMW temporary exposition buildings in Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, Geneva, Frankfurt, also for the BMW owned brands MINI and Rolls Royce
- BMW Hourglass for new BMW 7 presentation Moscow, 2008
- Experimental buildings of recyceld materials with students, 2006 -2010
- Allianz Mini-Arena Munich Airport, 2006
- Rehabilitation of historic shell structure based on digital workflow, 2006
- Kaffee Lichtblick Innsbruck, 2004 (Bollinger and Grohmann)
- BMW Take-off sculpture Munich Airport, 2003 (B + G)
- Façade planning Kunsthaus Graz, 2003 (B + G)
- Polyester composite structures for BMW fair projects, 2002 (B + G)
- BMW Dynaform, IAA, Frankfurt, 2001 (B + G)
- Bended tube structures for BMW in Geneva and Expo 2000 (B + G)
- BMW Clean Energy Bubble, 1999 (B + G)
- Temporary Concert Stage for Joe Zavinul at the Mauthausen concentration camp, 1998
+49 69 / 689 777 5 - 24
+49 69 / 689 777 5 - 18